Uttar Pradesh Secondary Education Service Selection Board Prayagraj is likely to issue an advertisement for the recruitment of teachers in the coming month. That’s why we have brought you 300 most important questions and answers of geography subject which will prove to be very important for social science and lecturer geography. If you like the post then do share it with your friends.
Geography of World and India Important Question Answer
1. Through which continent of the world do the three lines of Equator, Cancer, and Capricorn pass?
Ans- Africa continent
2. Who discovered the continent of North America?
Ansr- Columbus in 1492
3. Which plateau is called the world roof?
Ans- Pamir Plateau
4. Which is the largest lake in Africa?
Ans- Victoria Lake
5. In which continent is the Atlas mountain range located?
Ans- Africa continent
6. What is called the meat market in the world?
7. Where is the world-famous diamond mine Kimberley located?
Ans- South Africa
8. What is the strait separating North America from the continent of Asia?
Ans- Bering Water Treaty
9. What is the strait separating Africa from Europe?
Ans– Strait of Gibraltar which is in the Mediterranean Sea
10. Where are the Pampas grasslands located?
11. In which continent the Alpesian ranges are located?
Ans –North America
12. The Silicon Valley in the continent of North America is called?
13. The world’s largest port?
Ans – New York City
14. In which continent is the Rocky Range located?
North in North America
15. The land of the rising sun is?
Ans – Japan
16. Which is the highest mountain peak in Rajasthan?
Ans – Guru Shikhar
17. Which is the highest mountain peak in India?
Ans – K2 (Godwin Austin)
18. Which is the highest mountain peak in the world?
Ans- Mount Everest (8848m)
19. What is the actual length of the Great Wall of China?
Ans– 2400 km
20. Which is the largest island?
300 Important Geography Questions and Answers for UP TGT PGT 2022
21. Which canal separates South America from North America?
Ans – Panama Canal
22. The highest freshwater lake in the world is?
Ans – Lake Titicaca
23. The national animal of Australia is?
24. The largest river in Australia is?
Ans – Murray
25. The world’s largest freshwater lake?
Ans- Lake Superior
26. Which is the deepest lake in the world?
Ans – Lake Baikal
27. On which river is Stanley Falls situated?
Nns- the Zaire River
28. On the bank of which river is London situated?
Ans- Thames River
29. Which canal connects the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea?
Ans- Suez Canal
30. Doldrums are called?
Ans- Equatorial low-pressure belt
31. Where is the highest air pressure found on Earth?
Ans- At the North Poles
32. Which is the largest and longest lake in the world?
33. Which is the largest river island in the world?
Answer – Manjuli Island
34. Which is the S-shaped ocean of English?
Ans- Atlantic Ocean
35. Where is the headquarters of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund located?
Answer – Washington DC
36. Where is the headquarter of the World Health Organization (WHO) located?
Answer – Geneva
37. Where is the headquarters of UNESCO located?
38. Where is the headquarters of the United Nations Organization located?
Ans- in New York
39. Who is called the lake killer?
Answer – Acid Rain
40. The world’s longest trough is?
Ans- Mariana Trench of the Pacific Ocean
41. The island with the most population is?
Ans- java island
42. World’s busiest trading ocean?
Ans- Atlantic Ocean
43. In which state is Jadugoda, the largest uranium mine located in India?
Answer – In Jharkhand
44. Where do cyclones called typhoons mainly originate?
ANS- China Sea
45. What are tropical cyclones that originate in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea called?
Answer – Hurricane
46. In which country is Rio de Janeiro, the venue of the Earth Summit located in 1992?
47. Greenhouse effect is the result of?
Answer – End of forests in the world
48. In which year the World Trade Organization (WTO) come into existence?
Answer – In 1995
49. Which river is situated on the bank of Srinagar?
ANS– Jhelum River
50. Kolkata is situated on the banks of which river?
ANS- Hooghly River
51. The correct order of the world’s 7 largest countries in terms of area is
Answer – The seven largest countries of the world are as follows – Russia, Canada, America, China, Brazil, Australia, India
52. What is the area of India?
Answer – 32 lakh 87 thousand 263 sq km
53. What is the rank of India in the world in terms of area?
54. On which river is Ujjain situated?
Answer – Kshipra river
55. Delhi and Agra are situated on the banks of which river?
Answer – Yamuna River
56. The mountain situated between Narmada and Tapti rivers is?
Answer – Satpura
57. On which river is the Hirakud Dam located?
58. On which river is the Tehri Dam built?
Answer – On Bhagirathi
59. Tungabhadra project is related to which state?
Answer – Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka
60. Damodar Valley Project is related to which two states?
ANS- West Bengal and Jharkhand
61. Pulicat Lake is in which state?
Answer – In Tamil Nadu
62. Which planet is called the morning star?
Answer – Venus
63. Where is the busy port of Rotterdam located?
64. How long is the total land border of India?
Answer – 15200 km
65. Length of total coastline of India?
ANS- 7516.5 km
66. What is the rank of India in the world in terms of population?
67. Which ocean is to the south of India?
Answer – Indian Ocean.
68. The Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait separates India from which country?
Answer – From Sri Lanka.
69. Which line passes through the middle of India?
Answer – Tropic of Cancer.
70. What is the extent of India from north to south?
Answer – 3214 km.
71. What is the extent of India from east to west?
Answer – 2933 km.
72. Where are the Andaman and Nicobar Islands located?
Answer – In the Bay of Bengal.
73. Which is the largest island in India?
North- Central Andaman.
74. Where is Lakshadweep located?
ANS- Arabian Sea.
75. The area of India is what is the area of the world?
Answer – 2.42%
76. What % of the world’s total population lives in India?
Answer – 17%
77. What is the total area of India?
Answer- 32,87,263 Sq.km.
78. Through which states do the Tropic of Cancer pass?
Answer – Tropic of Cancer passes through a total of eight states of India which are as follows- Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
79. What is the difference between Standard Time of India and Greenwich Time?
Answer – 5 hours 30 minutes.
80. What is the distance of the southern end of India from the equator?
Answer – 876 km.
81. What is the length of the land border of India?
Answer – 15200 km.
82. What is the length of the mainland coastline of India?
Answer – 6100 km.
83. Coastal boundary line of India consisting of islands??
Answer – 7516 km.
84. What is the number of coastline states in India?
Answer – 9 (Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal).
85. Which state has the longest coastline?
86. With which country does India have the largest land border?
Answer – With Bangladesh.
87. Which geomorphic part of India is ancient?
ANS- Peninsular Plateau.
88. What is the part of Jammu and Kashmir which is under the control of China called?
Answer – Oxi China.
89. Which is the cold desert in India?
Answer – Ladakh.
90. With which country does India has a dispute over New Moore Island?
Answer – With Bangladesh.
91. In which hemisphere is India located?
ANS- in the northern hemisphere.
92. Which important latitude divides India into two parts?
Answer- 23°3′ North.
93. An Indian state surrounded on three sides by Bangladesh?
Answer – Tripura.
94. What is the main feature of the Indian islands located in the Arabian Sea?
Answer- All the islands are of coral origin.
95. In which Indian state is the Maikal Plateau located?
Answer – In Chhattisgarh.
96. Which are the Indian states touching the borderline of India and China?
Answer – Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, and Mizoram.
97. Which is the highest peak in South India?
98. Adam’s bridge is situated between which two countries?
Answer – India and Sri Lanka.
99. Which the state of India touches most of the state boundaries?
Answer – Uttar Pradesh.
100. Which Indian region was known as Kala Pani before independence?
Answer – Andaman-Nicobar Islands.
101. Who determined the boundary line between India and Pakistan?
Answer- Sir Cyril John Radcliffe.
102. Which state of India touches the border of China, Nepal, and Bhutan?
Answer – Sikkim.
103. What is the order of the three largest states of India in terms of area?
Answer – Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra.
104. In which state are the Satpura hills?
ANS– Madhya Pradesh.
105. Which is the highest peak in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
Answer – Saddle Peak.
106. In which states is the Deccan Plateau located?
Answer – Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh.
107. In which state are the Nilgiri hills located?
Answer – In the state of Tamil Nadu.
108. When was the Radcliffe Line drawn between India and Pakistan?
Answer – On August 15, 1947.
109. Mahendragiri hills are on the banks of which two states?
Answer – Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
110. Where is Pamban Island located?
Answer – In the Gulf of Mannar.
111. When was the Durand Line which is between India and Afghanistan determined?
Answer – In .1896.
112. Which is the largest coastal lake in India?
Answer – Chilka Lake, Odisha.
113. Which is the largest freshwater lake?
Answer – Wular Lake, Jammu, and Kashmir.
114. Which is the largest saltwater lake?
Answer – Sambhar Lake, Rajasthan.
115. Which is the largest artificial lake?
Answer – Indira Sagar Lake.
116. Which is the highest waterfall in India?
Answer- Garsoppa or Jog Falls, Karnataka.
117. Which is the origin point of the river Ganga?
Answer – Gangotri, Uttarakhand.
118. In which state is the Narmada river that rises from Amarkantak?
ANS– Madhya Pradesh.
119. By what name is the confluence of the Ganges and the Brahmaputra called?
Answer – Meghna River.
120. Which river of India forms the delta?
Answer – Ganga and Brahmaputra.
123. Which river flows through the fault basin?
Answer – Narmada River.
124. Which is the largest river in peninsular India?
Answer – Godavari River.
125. Cauvery water dispute is between which states?
Answer – Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
126. Which river divides the plateau regions of southern India into two parts?
Answer – Narmada River.
127. Which is the highest dam in India?
Answer – Tehri Dam.
128. Which is the longest dam in India?
Answer – Hirakud Dam.
129. Which is the largest multipurpose river valley project in India?
Answer – Bhakra Nangal Project.
130. Tehri Dam is at the confluence of which rivers?
Answer – Of Bhagirathi and Bhilangana rivers.
131. Which is the highest peak in India?
Answer- K2 or Godwin Austin.
132. Which is the highest peak of the Himalayan mountain range in India?
Answer – Kangchenjunga
133. Which is the oldest mountain range in India?
Answer – Aravalli
134. What is the highest peak of the Aravalli mountain range called?
Answer – Guru Shikhar
135. Which mountain range is known as Sahyadri?
ANS- Western Ghats
136. Where is Cardamom Hill or Cardamom Hill located?
Answer – In Kerala
137. Palghat pass connects which two states?
Answer – Kerala and Tamil Nadu
138. Zojila Pass is located in which state?
Answer – Jammu and Kashmir
139. Nathula Pass is located in which state?
140. Which pass connects Nashik and Mumbai?
Answer – Thalghat
141. Which pass connects Kolkata and Mumbai?
Answer – Bhorghat
142. What is the climate of India?
143. Which monsoon receives maximum rainfall in India?
ANS –south west monsoon
144. Where does it rain the most in India?
Answer – Masinram
145. What is the reason for the highest rainfall in Masinram and Cherrapunji?
Answer – Funnel-like shape of the hills
146. Where does winter rain occur in India?
Answer – Tamil Nadu and Odisha
147. Monsoon is the word of which language?
Answer – Arabic language
148. Which is the most important vegetation in India?
ANS- Autumn forest
149. Which state of India has the least number of forests?
Answer – Haryana
150. What are the forests found in swampy and tidal areas called?
Answer – Mangrove Forest
151. At which place was the first national park established in India?
Answer – Jim Corbett in Nainital, Uttarakhand
152. When was the project tiger project launched in India?
Answer – In 1973 AD
153. Which state in India is known as Tiger State?
ANS -Madhya Pradesh
154. Which type of soil is found the most in India?
ANS- Alluvial soil
155. The red color of red soil is due to
Answer: Due to iron oxide
156. Which soil is formed by a lava flow?
ANS- Black soil
157. Which is the Kharif crop?
Answer – Jowar, Bajra, Maize, Rice, Sesame, etc.
158. Which is the Rabi crop?
Answer – Wheat, gram, peas, barley, mustard, potatoes, etc.
159. Which is the crop of Zaid?
Answer- Melon, Cucumber, Cucumber, etc.
160. What is a cash crop?
Answer – Sugarcane, rubber, tobacco, cotton, sunflower, etc.
161. Which is the major food crop of India?
Answer – Rice
162. Who is known as the father of the Green Revolution in India?
Answer- Dr. MS Swaminathan
163. What is the rank of India in the world in milk production?
Answer – 1st place
164. Who is called the father of Operation Flood related to milk production in India?
Answer- Dr. Verghese Kurien
165. In India, most of the energy is obtained from?
Ans- Thermal thermal or thermal power
166. Which is the first nuclear reactor of India and when did it start?
Answer- Apsara in 1956
167. Where did nuclear power start in India?
Answer – Tarapur, Maharashtra
168. Which is the first hydroelectric project of India and on which river?
Answer – Shivasamudram Project, on the river Kaveri.
169. When and where is the country’s first iron steel factory located?
Answer – 1875 AD Kulti in West Bengal.
170. Which is the oldest steel factory in the private sector?
Answer- Tata Iron and Steel Company or TISCO
171. In which state is the most iron ore found?
Answer – Jharkhand
172. Jawar mine is famous for which mineral?
Answer: For zinc production
173. What were the three new factories set up in the Second Plan period?
Answer – Bhilai, Durgapur, and Rourkela
174. Which is the longest National Highway in India?
Answer- NH-7 from Varanasi to Kanyakumari.
175. Which is the largest public sector undertaking in India?
ANS- Indian Railways
176. When did the first passenger train run in India?
Answer- 16 April 1853
177. When did the first electric train run in India?
Answer – 1925 AD
178. When was air transport started in India?
Answer – 1912 AD
179. At which place was the world’s first airmail service started in 1911?
Answer – Between Allahabad and Naini
180. Where is the Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi?
Answer – Fursatganj, Uttar Pradesh
181. Which port is called the gateway of India?
Answer – Mumbai
182. Which is the deepest port of India?
Answer – Gangavaram Port, Andhra Pradesh
183.Which country has the largest number of post offices in the world?
Ans- North India
184. Which is the longest platform in India?
Answer – Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
185. Which is the train running between India and Pakistan?
Answer – Samjhauta and Thar Express
186. Through which mountain range does the Konkan Railway pass?
Ans- Western Ghats
187. Which port is called the eastern gate of Indian maritime trade?
Answer – Kolkata, Haldia
188. Which port is behind the rock named Dolphin Nose?
Answer – In Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
189. With whom does the Sethusamudram project connect?
Answer – Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait
190. Which port of India is tidal?
Answer – Kandla Port
191. When was the public postal service started in India?
Answer – 1837 AD
192. When was the present postal department established?
Answer- October 1854 AD.
193. Under which Governor General’s rule was the first postage stamp introduced in India?
Answer – Lord Dalhousie
194. Which is the most populous state?
Ans – Uttar Pradesh
195. Which is the least populated state?
Ans- North Sikkim
196. Which state has the largest area?
Answer – Rajasthan
197. Which is the state with the least area?
198. Which is the state with the highest literacy?
Answer – Kerala
199. Which is the state with the lowest literacy?
Answer – Bihar
200. Which is the union territory with the highest literacy?
Answer – Lakshadweep
201. Which is the state with the lowest sex ratio?
Answer – Haryana
202. Which state has the highest sex ratio?
Answer – Kerala
203. Which is the state with the highest population density?
Answer – Arunachal Pradesh
204. Which is the union territory with the highest population density?
205. Which is the union territory with the lowest population density?
Answer – Andaman and Nicobar
206. When did Telangana state become?
Answer – On June 2, 2014
207. When did Gujarat and Maharashtra become new states?
Answer – 1 May 1960
208. When did Haryana and Punjab become new states?
Answer – 1 November 1966
209. When was the state of Sikkim formed?
Answer: 16 May 1975
210. When was the state of Goa formed?
Answer – 30 May 1987
211. When was the state of Chhattisgarh formed?
Answer – 1 November 2000
212. When was the state of Uttarakhand formed?
Answer – 9 November 2000
213. When was the state of Jharkhand formed?
Answer – on 15 November 2000
214. When was the state of Meghalaya formed?
Answer – In 1970
215. When was the state of Himachal Pradesh formed?
Answer – In 1971
216. When were the states of Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh formed?
Answer – in 1987
217. When was the state of Nagaland formed?
Answer – 1 December 1963
218. When was Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya given full statehood?
Answer – 21 January 1972
219. Koya tribe is related to which state?
Answer – Andhra Pradesh
220. Mizo tribe is related to which state?
221. In which state do Panyan and Irul tribes live?
Answer – In Tamil Nadu
222. Avo tribe is related to which state?
223. Where is the Toda tribe found?
Answer – In the Nilgiri Hills
224. Which is the largest tribe of India?
225. The tribe named Shompen is related to which state?
Answer – From Andaman and Nicobar Islands
226. To which state do the Barli and Dhodia tribes belong?
Answer – In Dadra and Nagar Haveli
227. Chakma and Halmat are the tribes of which state?
228. Which city is called the abode of God?
Answer – Prayag
229. Which is called the land of five rivers?
Answer – Punjab
230. Which is the longest road bridge in India?
Answer- Nehru Setu on Son river in Bihar
231. Which is the largest museum of India?
Answer – Indian Museum, Kolkata
232. Which is the longest rail tunnel in India?
Answer – Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel, 11,215 m
233. Which is the largest zoo of India?
Answer – Zoological Gardens, Alipore in Kolkata
234. Which is the largest canty lever bridge in India?
Answer – Howrah Bridge, in Kolkata
235. Which is the tallest tower of India?
Answer – In Qutub Minar, Delhi
236. Which is the largest cave temple of India and where is it?
Answer – Ellora, in Aurangabad
237. Which is the largest corridor corridor?
Answer – Rameshwaram Temple, in Tamil Nadu
238. Which is the longest canal?
Answer – Indira Gandhi Canal
239. Which is the largest river island?
Answer – Majuli Island, on the Brahmaputra River
240. Which is the highest airport?
Answer – Leh, Ladakh
241.Which is the biggest cathedral?
242. Which is the largest district by area?
Answer – In Kutch, Gujarat
243. Which is the highest gravitational dam?
Ans- Bhakra Dam
244. Which is the tallest statue in India?
Answer – Veer Abhay Anjaneya Hanuman in Hyderabad
245. Where is the largest cattle fair held?
Answer – In Sonpur, Bihar
246. Which is the longest tributary river?
Answer – Yamuna
247. Where is the largest Gurdwara?
Answer – Golden Temple in Amritsar
248. Which is the tallest TV tower?
Answer – Pitampura
249. Which is the longest river in India that does not form a delta?
Answer – Narmada River
250. Which is the highest altitude battle site in the world?
Answer – Siachen Glacier
251. About what percent of India’s total production is obtained from the Gondwana period coal?
Answer – 98%
252. What is the main type of coal of Gondwana period found in India?
Ans- Bituminous type
253. Which river of India crosses the Tropic of Cancer twice?
Ans- Mahi river
254. Which river is called the Ganges of South India?
Answer – Kaveri river
255. What is called Dakshin Ganga?
Ans- Godavari River
256. Which river is known as biological desert?
Ans- Damodar River
257. Who is considered the father of Geomorphology?
Answer – Professional
258. Who is the author of the famous geographical text ‘Kitab-ul-Hind’?
Answer – Alberuni
259. Which instrument is used to measure relative humidity in air?
Answer – Hygrograph
260. Richter scale is used to measure?
Answer – Earthquake tremors
261. What is the line joining the places coming at the same time of earthquake called?
Answer – Homosomal
262. What is the line joining places of equal magnetic inclination called?
Answer – Isogonal
263. When is the shortest distance between the Sun and the Earth?
Answer – January 3
264. Which is the second largest planet of the solar system?
Answer – Saturn
265. Which planet is farthest from the Sun?
Ans – Varun
266. Who is called the father of the solar system?
267. What is the name of the planet which is called ‘twin sister’ of Earth?
Ans – Venus
268. With which planet did the comet Shumaker Levy-9 collide?
Ans – Jupiter
269. What is the magnetic material found in the center of the earth?
Ans – Nickel
270. In radio-communication, where is the signal emitted by the transmitting antenna reflected?
Ans – On the troposphere
271. The most suitable soil for the cultivation of jute is?
Ans- Alluvial Soil
272. Which state is the largest producer of silk in India?
273. Which state produces the most of them in India?
Ans – Rajasthan
274. The climate of India is?
Ans –tropical monsoon
275. What is Talcher famous for?
Ans– For heavy water plant
276. In which year was the National Forest Policy announced for the conservation of forests?
277. Which is the largest port of India?
278. Which state of India is the largest producer of cardamom?
279. Glass bangles industry is famous for?
280. Where is Bhabha Atomic Research Center located?
281. Which state is the largest producer of zinc?
Ans – Rajasthan
282. In which state is the Kalpakkam Nuclear Power Plant located?
Ans – In Tamil Nadu
283. In which state is the Farakka Dam located?
Ans- West Bengal
284. Where are the largest reserves of uranium mineral found in India?
285. The Union Territory of India in which three states have enclaves?
Ans – Puducherry
286. What is the name of the highest mountain peak in the Andes ranges of South America?
Ans – Aconcagua
287. Australia is the most densely settled on the banks of which river?
288. In which country are the hills named Black Hill, Blue Mountains and Green Mountains located?
Ans– In the United States America
289. Where is the largest quantity of coal found in India?
Ans- North Godwana region
290. Who discovered Greenland?
Ans: Robert Peary
291. In which country is Lake Baikal located?
Ans- in Russia
292. In which state of India is the Bhainsa Singi tribe found?
Ans – In Nagaland
293. What are the forests of the Amazon basin in Brazil called?
Ans – Selvas
294. What is called the key to the Mediterranean Sea?
Ans – Strait of Gibraltar
295. Which geographer is called the father of human geography?
Ans – Frederick Ratzel
296. What is the name of the largest island of Japan?
Ans – Honshu
297. What is the cold current flowing between Greenland and America called?
Ans – Cold Wall
298. Koderma is famous for which mineral?
Ans – for Mica
299. In which type of rocks is iron found?
Ans- Igneous Rocks
300. Where is Newmoor Island located?
Ans – Bay of Bengal